Our haircare page receives hundreds of hits per day from all over the world. The majority, from people who have never ordered from us, Why? because we have extensive knowledge and experience on how to look after human hair extensions and we're are not afraid to share it. Please find below, haircare advice to achieve long lasting human hair extensions.The 12 Golden Rules To Care For Virgin Remy Human Hair Extensions.
The simple answer is use of chemicals, heat and lack of moisture. We eat food to feed our bodies with nutrients which eventually makes their way through our system to feed our skin and hair. We cannot feed hair extensions in the same way so we need to use alternative methods.
Use organic and no sulfate shampoo's to regularly feed, moisturise and treat your hair extensions. Remember, coloured hair goes through a chemical process, especially when lightened to blondes and special colours, this is unavoidable to achieve the colours we all desire.
A little moisturising oil (we prefer Almond) each week is key.
Avoid shampoo and conditioning products which use Sulfates, Isopropyl Alcohol, Formaldehyde and Propylene Glycol, these are strong chemicals which will strip the hair of natural oils and leave them dry and sometimes damaged if used for a prolonged period of time.
Virgin Remy Hair is Real Human Hair. It comes in many forms and grades, The quality of the hair we sell is of a very high standard and it possesses all the natural beauty and healthy shine you could ask for. It does however need to be treated with kindness in order to sustain its health, as it doesn’t receive nutrients in the way growing hair does.
Here at VH&B, we have put together a step-by-step guide to keeping your Real Hair Extensions looking in top condition. So, how do you care for virgin remy hair?
Step 1 - Brushing & Maintaining Your Hair Extensions
• You MUST brush your hair in the mornings and at night before bed. Even when you’ve had a long day and your bed is calling; even when you’ve had too many glasses of vino on a Saturday night, you must take a few minutes to brush through your hair.
• Covering your hair with a scarf before going to sleep will prevent frizzing and tangling and is highly recommended.
• Carry a brush in your bag. Wind, rain and pollution can affect our hair and it may need a little tidy up from time to time during the day.
Step 2 - Washing Virgin Remy Hair Extensions
There is a real knack to maintaining healthy and vibrant hair extensions and washing your hair correctly yet not over washing is essential.
• Always brush your hair before you get into the shower. This limits breakage and tangling when the hair gets wet.
• Let the shower head do the work, wetting your hair in a light downward motion.
• Not too much shampoo (and when we say shampoo, we mean no Sulfate). A dab the size of quarter of your palm should do it.
• Lather your hair at the roots, massaging gently AROUND the extension attachments. Avoid touching these if you can. No Sulfate shampoo's do not lather greatly, do not worry, it will still do its job. In hair extension terms, foam is foe!
• You can now move on to the rest of your hair. Split this into manageable sections, about two on each side. Use your palms to spread the lather at the roots down through each section. By using a downward motion, sandwich each section of your hair in your palms and rub down to clean. The hair will remain strong and breakage is minimised.
• Rinse your scalp, again letting the shower do the work. Repeat the palm wash process , but with a smaller amount of shampoo and just as gentle.
• Lastly, apply a small amount of Almond or Coconut oil over the strands of your hair.
• A blast of cool water (as cold as you can cope with) at the very end will close the cuticles and ensure the hair is left smooth and shiny.
• Whilst your hair is wet, use your fingers to lightly separate the hair and continue this process with a wide-toothed comb to ensure no sections are joined or intertwined.
• Pat the hair with a towel to remove excess moisture and gently wrap your hair in the towel at the back of your head – never wrap up in a turban on top!
• After an hour, remove the towel and allow the hair to air-dry (at home).
Step 3 - Moisturising
• It’s important to be in-tune with your hair and recognise when it feels and looks dry. In order to preserve the moisture in your Real Hair Extensions you can use natural oils and lotions that contain Almond or Coconut 2-3 times a week as part of a weekly routine. We only recommend pure natural oils and lotions for moisturising your hair.
• Avoid over-washing your hair. Use small amounts of natural products and your hair will stay cleaner for longer. Also, over-washing can loosen your extensions.
• Never use a brush on your hair when it’s wet. Instead, use a wide-toothed comb.
• NEVER go to bed with wet hair!
Real Curly Hair Extensions look incredibly glamorous and there is a fantastic selection to choose from here at VHB. Curly hair has a tendency to be naturally drier than straight hair, so it may be necessary to replenish its moisture more often especially 6-8 weeks after installation. Getting to know your hair extensions is key – as soon as you sense they are beginning to dry, spritz them with a little water when required. Adding a few drops of natural oil to the water will work wonders too.
Changes in weather, your exercise routine, pollution and how you style your hair can have an impact on all hair types. So keep an eye on things to get the best out of your lovely natural virgin hair. Finally, enjoy your hair extensions. Just a little bit of TLC is all they need to stay looking healthy and glossy.
Sulfate Free Shampoo:
Liz Earle Botanical Shine Shampoo
Kae Nutri Radiance Shampoo
Aveda Be Curly
Aveda Dry Remedy
Lovea Shampooing Brilliance Argan Oil
Neem based shampoo
L'Oreal Ever Pure Moisture Shampoo
John Masters Lavender Rosemary Shampoo
Deva Curl No Poo for Curly hair types
Curls Pure Curls Clarifying Shampoo
Schwarzkopf Coconut & Yoghurt Shampoo
ICON Drench - for bleached blonde hair
Schwarzkopf Bonacure Colour Save - for coloured hair